Railway Stations &
in Great Britain and Ireland
On this page:
The information on this page essentially represents work in
progress and further information will be appreciated - please Email me. Where this symbol §
appears, additional information will be particularly welcome.
Railway Stations, Junctions, and other
features named after Public Houses
C D E
F G H
J K L
M N O
P Q R
S T U
Isolated public houses and inns were a special feature of the days
when long distance travel required frequent stops for rest and
refreshment, perhaps for change of horses, and the like. These often
developed into centres for traffic interchange with nearby small
communities and outlying farms and were therefore highly appropriate
places for a station to be built when the railways arrived.
In other instances, a small station or junction might be built
at a particular location mainly to suit the operational requirements
of the railway, and a pub might be the most prominent local landmark
after which to name it.
In at least one instance (see Berney Arms) a
railway station was built to serve a public house that was otherwise
- Underground station (TQ314832). Opened 1901, City & South
London Railway. Now on the City branch of the Northern Line. Near
the Angel Inn, a former coaching inn recently rebuilt at the time
when the railway opened. The building still stands, now a branch
of the Cooperative Bank (1 Islington High Street, London N1 9TR).
The Inn has also given its name to the immediately surrounding area.
The present day pub, The Angel, 3-5 Islington High Street, London
N1 9TQ, is located in a modern block of shops and offices nearby.
- Pair of lines (TQ287772 to TQ339762). Opened jointly by the
London, Chatham & Dover and London, Brighton & South Coast
Railways between 1865 and 1867, linking York Road (now Battersea
Park) and Peckham Rye Junction. These lines for most of their length
form the southernmost pair of the four track route known as the
South London Line and were intended to relieve congestion on the
earlier pair. The name was given because they pass close by
the Atlantic pub in Brixton: the pub is now The Dogstar,
389 Coldharbour Lane, London SW9 8LQ
Back to Top
- Bat & Ball
- Station (SD492530). Sevenoaks station opened 1862, as the terminus
of the Sevenoaks Railway. Shortly afterwards, railway changed its name
to Sevenoaks, Maidstone & Tunbridge Railway. Line extended 1869
to join the London, Chatham & Dover Railway at their Sevenoaks
Tubs Hill station; original station renamed Sevenoaks Bat & Ball.
Sevenoaks Bat & Ball renamed Bat & Ball, 1950. A short distance
from the Bat & Ball Inn, located at the junction of St John’s
Hill and Seal Road. The building remains, but is no longer a pub.
- Bay Horse
- Station (SD492530). Opened 1840, Lancaster & Preston
Junction Railway. Station closed 1960, signal box retained as block
post. Signal box closed circa 1972, emergency crossovers retained.
Line remains open. Built to serve a collection
of small communities, the station was named after an inn on the Preston
to Lancaster coach road, the New Bay Horse, opened in 1825 replacing an
earlier inn. Demand for coaching facilities declined with the arrival
of the railway and the New Bay Horse closed as an inn in 1892. The
business was transferred back to its former premises (then known as the
Old Bay Horse), where it remains to this day:
The Bay Horse
Inn, Bay Horse, Lancaster, LA2 0HR.
- Berney Arms
- Station (SD492530). Opened 1844, Norwich & Yarmouth
Railway. Now served by just a few trains a day, which stop on request.
It is almost unique in having no road access whatsoever. A track leads
to the Berney Arms Inn, Berney Arms, Great Yarmouth,
NR30 1SB. The pub relies for its supplies and most of its custom on the
adjacent River Yare. Declining commercial traffic on the river has been
more than compensated for by a huge increase in pleasure traffic during
the latter half of the 20th century. Although traffic at the station is
minimal, it has survived closure owing to pressing social needs. The
station is mainly used by the few local residents and by pub workers,
with occasional pub visitors and ramblers (not to mention railway
enthusiasts!) However, it also handles the all-important Royal Mail
postal service, provided by a travelling postman; and in bad weather
during the winter may be the only practical means of access to the pub,
mill and neighbouring farms in an emergency.
- Bird in Hand
- Junction (approx ST177953). Line from Crumlin to Nelson &
Llancaiach opened 1857 / 1858 Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford
Railway. Line from Nine Mile Point to Sirhowy opened 1863 Sirhowy
Railway. Junction between the two lines created 1893. Line towards
Nelson closed 1964. Line towards Sirhowy closed 1969. Remaining
lines closed 1970. Junction near the Bird in Hand Inn, Bryn Road,
Pontllanfraith, Blackwood NP12 2EX.
- Black Boy
- Level crossing (SU832051). Line from Chichester to Portsmouth
opened 1847, London, Brighton & South Coast Railway, with Black
Boy level crossing. Remains open. On Black Boy Lane, leading to
The Black Boy Inn, Main Road, Fishbourne, Chichester PO18 8AN.
- Black Bull
- Tram stop (approx SJ366972). Opened, dated uncertain §.
Closed 1951. Near The Black Bull, 2 Warbreck Moor, Liverpool L9 0ER.
- Black Dog
- Bridge and Halt (ST982708). Line from Chippenham to Calne opened
1863, Calne Railway, with bridge and halt. The halt was initially
classed as a private halt and, although the public were permitted to
use it, it did not appear in public timetables until 1952. Line and
halt closed 1965. The line was subsequently opened as a footpath and
cycle route and a new bridge (known as the Millennium Bridge) has
been constructed. The location takes its name from Black Dog Hill,
the Inn of that name having closed some time around 1850. However,
the inn building still stands, now a private house, part way up the
hill on the south side.
- Black Lion (Aberdare)
- Level crossing and halt (SN999021). The Vale of Neath Railway
opened its line from Dare Junction to Cwmaman Colliery in 1856. The
line crossed the Aberdare to Maerdy road at Black Lion Crossing, at
the point where present day Monk Street becomes Graig Place. Black
Lion Crossing Halt, adjacent to the crossing, opened for passenger
traffic in 1906, closed in 1924. The entire line closed in 1936.
The Black Lion Hotel, 104 Wind St, Aberdare CF44 7LL (next to Victoria
Square) is about ¼ mile away, nearer to the town centre. The pub was
later renamed The Black, and in 2013 was standing empty.
- Black Lion (Merthyr Vale)
- Signal box, sidings and junction (ST076987). Line from Abercynon
to Merthyr opened 1941, Taff Vale Railway. Sidings and signal box
opened circa 1875 to serve Taff Colliery, later Merthyr Vale Colliery.
Branch to sidings from Quaker’s Yard & Merthyr Railway at Merthyr
Vale Junction opened 1886, closed 1951. Signal box rebuilt circa 1970.
Merthyr Vale Colliery closed 1989. Black Lion signal box closed and
sidings abolished 1992. Passing loop through Merthyr Vale station
installed 2008, the junction at the southern end of the loop being
known as Black Lion Junction; this is located about 500 yards north
of the original signal box and is currently controlled from Abercynon
Signalling Control Centre, control to be transferred to the Wales
Railway Operations Centre in Cardiff by 2018. The origin of the Black
Lion name is unclear. There was a Black Lion level crossing on the
earlier Merthyr Tramroad (opened 1803) which ran parallel with the route
of the railway; Black Lion Gates appears adjacent to the sidings on 19th
century Ordnance Survey maps. The nearby
Pleasant Inn, Mount Pleasant, Merthyr Vale, Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 4TD states on its website that it is known locally as The
Black, but since the Inn dates from circa 1880 it cannot have been
the origin of the name. There may have been an earlier hostelry in the
vicinity, but no record seems to exist. §
- Blue Anchor (London)
- Viaduct and signal box (approx TQ345790). In what was already a
heavily built up area at the time, the first few miles of the London
& Greenwich Railway (opened in 1836) was constructed on viaduct
to avoid numerous road level crossings. Various stretches of viaduct
were given distinctive names; Blue Anchor Viaduct is close to the
Blue Anchor, 251 Southwark Park Road, London SE16 3TS (on the corner
of Blue Anchor Lane). When the London & Croydon Railway opened
in 1839, Blue Anchor became the junction between the two lines. In
subsequent years, traffic was such that the viaducts needed to be
widened and each route had its own tracks towards London; the physical
connection between the two lines was moved further west, but Blue
Anchor remained as a signal box until its functions were taken over
by a new signalling control centre at London Bridge in the 1970s.
- Blue Anchor (Minehead)
- Station (ST022434). Opened 1874, Minehead Railway. Closed 1971.
Reopened 1976, West Somerset Railway. The station was built partly
to serve the nearby village of Carhampton, but also the Blue Anchor
Hotel, Blue Anchor, Minehead, TA24 6JP, located about ¾ mile to the
east along the seafront. A small community has grown up around the
station and takes its name from it.
- Blue Pigeons
- Level crossing (TR347568). Opened 1847, South Eastern Railway.
Remains open. Near the Old Blue Pigeons, now a farm. The present
Pigeons Hotel, The Street, Worth, Deal CT14 0DE is about ½ mile
- Boars Head
- Station and junction (SD577088). Line from Wigan to Preston
opened 1838, North Union Railway. Boars Head station was opened 1869,
as junction with Lancashire Union Railway branch to Adlington Junction
on the Bolton & Preston Railway. Station closed in 1949. Branch
closed and junction abolished 1971. Emergency crossovers retained.
Main line remains open. Near to the Boars Head, Wigan Road, Standish, Wigan WN6 0AD.
- Boot Inn
- Tram stop (approx SK298184). Opened 1906, Burton & Ashby Light
Railway. Closed 1927. Near the former Boot Inn, now a Care Home:
Gresley House, Market Street, Church Gresley, Swadlincote DE11 9PN.
- Bo Peep
- Junction (TQ791090) and tunnel (TQ791090 to TQ803094). Line from
first Hastings & St Leonards station (later St Leonards West Marina)
to Ashford opened 1851, South Eastern Railway, with the 1318 yard
(1205 m) Bo Peep Tunnel. Bo Peep Junction created 1852, with opening
of line to Robertsbridge. Both lines, junction and tunnel remain open.
Junction and western end of tunnel near The Bo Peep, 25 Grosvenor
Crescent, St Leonards-on-Sea TN38 0AA.
- Bricklayers Arms
- Station (TQ335787) and junctions. Station opened 1844, jointly
by the South Eastern and London & Croydon Railways, with line from
Bricklayers Arms Junction on the London & Croydon Railway
north of New Cross. New line opened 1849, South Eastern Railway,
from Surrey Canal Junction to 2nd Bricklayers Arms Junction on
the original line. Station closed to passengers 1852, but remained
active for freight. Original line between the two Bricklayers Arms
Junctions closed 1981. Station finally closed, together with the
line from Surrey Canal Junction, 1983. The extensive site of
Bricklayers Arms station is now occupied by an industrial estate.
Mandela Way (SE1 5SR / SS) runs through its centre. Part of the
line from Surrey Docks Junction can still be traced on the ground.
Part of the route of the line from the former London & Croydon
Railway is now used by the so-called Spur Lines connecting with
the South London Lines. The divergence of the Spur Lines from the
Brighton main line (TQ356781) retains the name of Bricklayers
Arms Junction. Bricklayers Arms station took its name from a pub
located nearby, at the junction of Old Kent Road and New Kent Road
(TQ329789). The pub was rebuilt in the 1890s. Excavations carried
out at the time of rebuilding confirmed that it had been built on
the site of a much older coaching inn. The later building survived
until the 1960s, after which it was demolished for road widening.
The site is now occupied by a roundabout and flyover.
- Bridge Tavern
- Tram stop (approx SK541611). Opened 1905, Mansfield & District
Light Railway Company. Closed 1932. Near the Bridge Tavern, Bridge
Street, Mansfield NG18 1AL.
- Bronwydd Arms
- Station (TQ335787). Line from Carmarthen to Conwil opened 1860,
Carmarthen & Cardigan Railway, a broad gauge line. Station
opened 1861. Line converted to mixed gauge 1866, standard gauge 1872.
Station closed 1965. Line closed 1973. Part reopened as tourist line
(with Bronwydd Arms station) 1978, Gwili Railway.
Near the Bronwydd Arms Inn, located at the junction of the Carmarthen to
Cardigan main road (A484) with the road to Bronwydd village (B4301). The
pub was demolished in 1981 for road widening, its site is marked by a
roadside plaque. The small village that grew up around the pub and
station has taken the name of the former inn.
- Brown Cow
- Tram stop (approx SK543610). Opened 1905, Mansfield & District
Light Railway Company. Closed 1932. Near the Brown Cow, Ratcliffe Gate,
Mansfield NG18 2JA.
- Viaduct (TQ333798). Another section of the long elevated route
opened in 1836 to carry the London & Greenwich Railway over the
streets of South East London (see Blue Anchor).
Brunswick Viaduct spanned Brunswick Court, London SE1 3LX, itself
named after a tavern which stood at its junction with Tanner Street
but which disappeared many years ago.
- Bull & Bush
- Proposed underground station (approx TQ260870). Line from
Euston to Golders Green opened 1907, Charing Cross, Euston &
Hampstead Railway. Station proposed at North End, construction
started but never completed. Line remains open as the Edgware
branch of the Northern line. The incomplete station was officially
named North End, but over the years has come to be known as Bull
& Bush. Near the Bull & Bush, North End Way, London NW3 7HE,
famous as the inspiration of the music hall song Down at the Old
Bull & Bush.
- Bull’s Head
- Tram stop (SJ895952). Line from Stockport opened 1903, Stockport
Corporation Transport. Extended to Gorton 1908. Closed 1946.
Near the Bull’s Head, 605 Gorton Road, Stockport SK5 6NX. The pub
closed around 2012 and the rear of the premises is used as a builderʼs
Back to Top
- Camels Head
- Halt (SX456572). Line from Devonport to Beer (later Bere) Alston
opened 1890, Plymouth, Devonport & South Western Junction Railway.
Camels Head Halt opened 1906, closed 1942. Line from Devonport to
Saint Budeaux closed 1964. Halt near to The Camels Head pub, which
stood at what was then the junction between Wolseley Road and Ferndale
Road. Pub renamed The Submarine, 1978. Demolished 1988 to make way
for road widening.
- Tram terminus (SK348341). Opened 1904, Derby Corporation Tramways.
Closed 1934. Next to the Cavendish Hotel, Walbrook Road, Derby
DE23 8SB. Pub closed 2012.
- Chocolate Poodle
- Bridge (ST995549). Line from Patney & Westbury Junction to
Westbury opened 1900, Great Western Railway, with Lavington station,
signal box and adjacent bridge. Station closed 1966. Signal box
replaced by ground frame (released from Reading) 1977. Line, ground
frame and bridge remain open. Bridge unofficially renamed Chocolate
Poodle bridge circa 1970. Next to The Chocolate Poodle, High Street,
Littleton Pannell, Devizes SN10 4EL. The pub is closed. The building,
located adjacent to the entrance to Littleton Mobile Home Park, now
contains rental flats, having previously been a guest house.
- Clock House
- Station (TQ363695). Line from New Beckenham to Croydon (Addiscombe
Road) via Elmers End opened 1864, Mid-Kent Railway. Clock House station
opened 1890, South Eastern Railway. Remains open. The nearby Clock House,
205 Beckenham Road, Beckenham BR3 4PT was a modern replacement for the
original pub, but it was closed and demolished circa 2006 to make
way for flats.
- Viaduct (TQ303778). Opened 1848, London & South Western Railway,
part of the Waterloo Arches. Remains open. The source
of the name is uncertain §
but given that the line was opened a decade after the Coronation of
Queen Victoria, it seems likely to have been named after an existing
landmark, possibly a pub. In the late 19th century or early 20th century
the railway company constructed Coronation Buildings adjacent to the line,
to house railway employees and local residents displaced by the widening
of the line: this may have been on or near the site of the Coronation pub.
Coronation Buildings was demolished in the 1980s and the site is now
occupied by offices at 66 South Lambeth Road, London SW8 1RL.
- Craven Arms
- Station (SO432831) and signal box (SO432828). Line from
Shrewsbury to Ludlow opened 1852, with level crossing at Long Lane.
Craven Arms station opened 1853, to serve the coaching inn, the
Craven Arms Hotel, Shrewsbury Road, Craven Arms SY7 9QJ, which was
a traffic generator for several small communities in the area. A
substantial village has grown up around the station and inn, taking
its name from them. Station renamed Craven Arms & Stokesay, 1879.
Renamed back to Craven Arms, 1974. Central Wales Junction created 1860
with opening of Knighton Railway. Long Lane Crossing renamed Craven
Arms Crossing, unknown date. Control of Central Wales Junction
transferred to Craven Arms Crossing Signal Box, unknown date.
Level crossing abolished (replaced by underbridge), signal box
retained to control junction, unknown date. Both lines, station
and signal box remain open.
- Cricket Inn
- Tunnel (SK363876), see Nunnery
Tunnel. Runs under Cricket Inn Road. The Cricket Inn from which
the road takes its name was considerably further from the city centre,
apparently in an area now occupied by retail and industrial units near
the A57 Sheffield Parkway §.
- Cross Hands (Newport)
- Tram stop (ST334881). Opened 1895, Newport Tramways Company, as
terminus of horse tram route from Town Centre. Line electrified and
extended to Borough Boundary 1930, Newport Corporation Tramways.
Line closed 1930. Near the Cross Hands Hotel, 446 Chepstow Rd,
Newport NP19 8JF.
- Cross Hands (Pilning)
- Halt (ST558851). Line from Bristol to New Passage Pier opened
1863, Bristol & South Wales Union Railway, section beyond Pilning
Junction closed 1886 with the opening of the Severn Tunnel. Section
of closed lined reopened 1900 by Great Western Railway as part of its
route to Avonmouth via Severn Beach. Halt opened 1928, closed 1964.
Line closed 1968. Near the Cross Hands Inn, Cross Hands Road,
Pilning, Bristol BS35 4JB.
- Cross Inn (Ammanford)
- Station (SN631120). Line from Pontardulais to Garnant opened
1840, Llanelly Railway & Dock Company. Station opened 1850.
Renamed Ammanford 1883 (Ammanford itself having been created as
a community in 1880). Closed 1958. Not to be confused with
present Ammanford station, which was Tirydail until 1960. Line
remains open for freight. Near the Cross Inn which stood at the
junction of the Llandeilo Road (now College Street) and High Street.
The Inn was demolished in the 1890s.
- Cross Inn (Llanfihangel-ar-Arth)
- Station (SN453392). Line from Pencader Junction to Strata
Florida opened 1866, Manchester & Milford Railway. Station
opened 1871, renamed New Quay Road 1874, renamed Bryn Teify 1916,
closed 1965. Line closed 1973. Next to the Cross Inn Hotel,
Llanfihangel-Ar-Arth, Pencader SA39 9HX.
- Cross Inn (Pontyclun)
- Station (ST055830). Line from Llantrisant station (now
Pontyclun) to Tonteg Junction opened 1863, Llantrisant & Taff
Vale Junction Railway. Station opened 1871, closed 1952. Line
remains open for freight as far as Cwm Llantwit. Station near
the Cross Inn Hotel, Main Road, Cross Inn, Pontyclun CF72 8AZ.
A small community has grown up around the pub and takes its
name from it.
- Cross Keys (Glanamman)
- Station (SN675137). Line from Pontardulais to Garnant opened
1840, Llanelly Railway & Dock Company. Station opened 1851.
Renamed Glanamman 1884. Closed 1958. Line remains open for freight.
Near the Cross Keys, 78 Cwmamman Road, Glanamman, Ammanford
- Cross Keys (Hednesford)
- Junction (about SK001112). Opened 1881, London & North
Western Railway, for freight only. Point of connection with the
private rail network of Hednesford Colliery. Line closed 1964
when colliery traffic ceased. Near The Cross Keys, 42 Hill
Street, Hednesford, Cannock WS12 2DN.
- Cross Keys (Newport)
- Station (ST220920). Opened 1855, Monmouthshire Railway &
Canal Company. Closed 1962. Line remained open for freight.
Line and station reopened for passenger traffic 2007.
Near the Cross Keys Hotel, High Street, Cross Keys, Newport,
NP11 7BY. A sizeable community has grown up around the
station and pub, and takes its name from them.
- Cross Keys (Sutton Bridge)
- Bridge (TF482210). Line from Sutton Bridge to Kings Lynn with
railway on existing road bridge opened 1864, Lynn & Sutton Bridge
Railway. Bridge replaced by new combined road and rail swing bridge
1897, Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway. Railway closed 1959.
Bridge remains in use for road traffic as part of A17. Name probably
taken from Cross Keys Wash, an arm of The Wash (reputedly where King
John lost his jewels in 1216) that existed in the area until drained
in the 1860s and the River Nene confined to its present channel.
There may have been two pubs with the name. An 1810 Ordnance Survey
map shows a Cross Keys Inn on the west bank of Cross Keys Wash. This
is near, and may be the same building as, the Wash House Inn recorded
in the 1830s at the end of the then new first road bridge; the latter
building is the present day Bridge Inn, closed and standing empty in
2011. There was a Cross Keys Tavern in the village of Walpole on the
East side of Cross Keys Wash, about 3km from the present bridge, later
the Cross Keys Inn and now closed, although the building remains.
- Crymmych Arms
- Station (SN184340). Opened 1875, Whitland & Taf Vale
Railway. Closed 1962. Line closed 1963. Near the Crymych Arms,
Crymych, SA41 3RJ. Note the slightly changed modern spelling.
Back to Top
- Dartmouth Arms
- Station (TQ354729). Opened 1839, London & Croydon
Railway. Renamed Forest Hill 1845. Near The
Dartmouth Arms, 7 Dartmouth Road, London SE23 3HN.
- Junction (approx SU987800). Line from London to Maidenhead
opened 1838, Great Western Railway, a broad gauge line. Converted
to mixed gauge 1861, standard gauge 1892. Dolphin Junction opened,
date unknown, as crossovers between Main and Relief lines. Remains
open. Near the Dolphin Tavern, site now occupied by the Premier Inn
Slough Hotel, 76 Uxbridge Road, Slough SL1 1SU.
- Durham Ox
- Junction and level crossing (SK978708). Junction created
1848 / 1849 at the intersection of the Manchester, Sheffield
& Lincolnshire and Great Northern Railways east of Lincoln.
Name later changed (date uncertain) to Pelham Street Junction
/ Crossing. Line from Lincoln Saint Marks closed 1985, other
lines remain open. Next to the Durham Ox Inn, which no longer
exists. The area has been completely altered by the construction
of a new main road which passes above the junction.
Back to Top
- Eclipse Inn
- Tram stop (approx SK422479).
Opened 1913, Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Tramways Company.
Closed 1932. Near the Eclipse Inn, High Street, Loscoe, Heanor
DE75 7LE. Pub remains open.
- Elephant & Castle
- Station (TQ311790) and underground station. Opened 1861, London,
Chatham & Dover Railway, to the north of the New Kent Road;
relocated to its present site 1863. Opened 1900, City & South
London Railway (now the City branch of the Northern Line).
Opened 1906, Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (now the
Bakerloo Line). Named after a famous nearby pub first recorded
in the 18th century. The pub has now disappeared and its precise
location is difficult to track down §.
Elephant & Castle, Newington Causeway, London SE1 6BN is a
modern pub located nearby.
- Elm Tree
- Tram stop (TQ311790). Opened 1994, South Yorkshire Supertram,
as Manor Top / Elm Tree. Near the Elm Tree, 980 City Road,
Sheffield S12 2AB. Pub closed circa 2009; recorded standing empty in
Back to Top
- Junction (TQ272753) of the West London Extension Railway (opened
in 1863) with the existing lines of the London, Brighton & South
Coast Railway, just south of Clapham Junction station. Falcon Junction
(also known as Clapham Junction South) is near The Falcon, 2 St John’s Hill, London SW11 1RU.
- Fighting Cocks
- Station (NZ342142). The Stockton & Darlington Railway opened
in 1825. Middleton & Dinsdale station opened 1838. Renamed
Fighting Cocks 1866. Closed 1887. Line closed 1964. Near the Fighting
Cocks Hotel, Darlington Road, Middleton Saint George, Darlington
- Fleece Inn
- Steam Tramway Halt (approx TF500791). Opened 1884, Alford &
Sutton Tramway. Closed 1889. Next to the Fleece Inn at Hannah, located
at the junction of Sutton Road and Crawcroft Lane. Building remains,
but is no longer a pub. See also Jolly Bacchus.
- Fleur de Lis
- Platform (approx ST156965). Line from Bassaleg, near Newport,
to Pengam opened 1865, Brecon & Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway.
Fleur de Lis Platform opened 1926, closed 1962. This section of the
line closed 1967. The station takes its name from Fleur de Lis
village (Flower de Luce on some early 19th century maps). There
are various theories regarding the origin of the village name, but the
suggestion that it was named after a pub actually seems unlikely.
There was a brewery in the village from an early date, but the only
licensed hostelry definitely recorded is the Trelyn Hotel on High
Street. The Hotel was demolished in the late 20th century, the site
is now occupied by the houses of Cwrt Trelyn.
- Four Ashes
- Station (SJ917084). Opened 1837, Grand Junction Railway. Station
closed 1959, signal box retained as block post. Signal box closed circa
1965, up goods loop retained, operated from Wolverhampton PSB. Line
remains open. About ¼ mile from the Four
Ashes Inn, Station Drive, Four Ashes, Wolverhampton WV10 7BU.
- Four Crosses
- Station (SJ271184). Opened 1860, Oswestry & Newtown Railway.
Line and station closed 1965. Near the Four Crosses Inn, Four Crosses,
Llanymynech SY22 6RE. Pub closed some time after 2010. The community
that grew up around the inn and station takes its name from them.
- Fox & Hounds
- Tram terminus (approx NZ211650). Opened unknown date prior to 1928
Newcastle Corporation Tramways. Closed by 1949 §.
Near the Fox & Hounds, West Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne
Back to Top
- Gate Inn
- Tram stop (approx SK419502). Opened 1913, Nottinghamshire &
Derbyshire Tramways Company. Closed 1932. Near the Gate Inn, 137
Codnor Gate, Codnor, Ripley DE5 9QW.
- Glass House Inn
- Tram stop (approx SK419499). Opened 1913, Nottinghamshire &
Derbyshire Tramways Company. Closed 1932. Near the Glass House Inn.
Pub was demolished in the 1960s, site now occupied by Ce Bella Bar
& Restaurant, 38 Glass House Hill, Codnor, Ripley DE5 9QT.
- Great Northern Hotel
- Halt (approx J182178, Irish grid). Opened 1877, Warrenpoint
& Rostrevor Tramway, a 34 inch (864 mm) gauge tramway. Line
closed 1915. Halt next to the Mourne Hotel, later renamed the
Great Northern Hotel, Rostrevor. Hotel destroyed by fire in the
- Grey Horse
- Halt (approx NZ228357). Line from Phoenix Pit to Stockton
opened 1825, Stockton & Darlington Railway, initially as
a freight only line with no passenger service. Grey Horse opened
as a boarding point for passengers circa 1831 by Daniel Adamson,
a private contractor to the Railway Company who commenced regular
operation of the horse drawn passenger carriage Perseverance
over the Company’s line from Shildon to Darlington. In 1833,
the Company commenced its own passenger operation, utilizing the
premises of another nearby pub, the Masons Arms, which thus
effectively became the first Shildon railway station. The original
carriage depot opened by Adamson opposite the Grey Horse pub
became a goods station. A new Shildon station was opened on its
present day site in 1842, and the original station closed. The line
between the new Shildon station and Phoenix Pit, which passed by
the Grey Horse and the Masons Arms, was closed in 1858. Pub remains
open: the Grey Horse, 2 Byerley Road, Shildon DL4 1JQ.
Back to Top
- Harrington Arms (Alvaston)
- Tram terminus (approx SK385335). Opened 1904, Derby Corporation
Tramways. Closed 1932. Near the Harrington Arms. The site of the
original pub is now occupied by a row of shops located immediately to
the east of a more recent pub, the Harrington Arms, 1240 London Road,
Alvaston, Derby DE24 8QP. The latter pub closed in 2012.
- The Hawthorns
- Station and tram stop (SP025897). Line from Birmingham (Snow Hill)
to Wolverhampton (Joint, later Low Level) opened 1854, Great Western
Railway. Handsworth Junction created and line from Handsworth Junction
to Smethick Junction (Stourbridge Railway) opened 1867, Great Western
Railway. The Hawthorns halt opened near Handsworth Junction 1931.
Both lines and station closed 1972. Line from Birmingham (Snow Hill)
to Smethwick Junction reopened 1995, British Rail, with new station on
the site of the original halt. Midland Metro opened 1999 from Birmingham
(Snow Hill) to Wolverhampton (St George’s), largely following the route
of the original railway line, and with its own platforms at The Hawthorns.
Although there was a pub named The Hawthorns nearby (at the junction of
Halfords Lane and Birmingham Road), both pub and station take their
name from the adjacent West Bromwich Albion football ground. The pub is
now part of the football club property.
- Holland Arms
- Station (SH471726). Line from Gaerwen to Amlwch opened 1865,
Anglesey Central Railway, with Holland Arms station. Station closed
1952. Line closed 1993, though there are proposals to reopen it as
a tourist and local service line. Near the Holland Arms
Hotel, Pentre Berw, Gaerwen LL60 6HY.
- Station (SO166034). Line from Nine Mile Point, near Newport,
to Sirhowy opened 1863, Sirhowy Railway. Station opened 1891.
Closed 1960. Line closed 1969. Near the Hollybush Inn, Railway Terrace,
Hollybush, Blackwood NP12 0SJ. Pub closed, building remains as a private
house, Yr Hen Llwyncelyn (trans: The Old Hollybush). The community that
has grown up around the inn and station takes its name from them.
- Hope & Anchor
- Tram stop (approx SK295205). Opened 1906, Burton & Ashby Light
Railway. Closed 1927. Near the Hope & Anchor, now The Anchor,
211 High Street, Newhall, Swadlincote DE11 0EA.
- Horse & Jockey (Arnold)
- Tram stop (approx SK587457). Opened 1915, Nottingham Corporation
Tramways. Closed 1936. Near the Horse & Jockey, 91 Front Street,
Arnold, Nottingham NG5 7EB.
- Horse & Jockey (Thurles)
- Station (S150515, Irish grid). Opened 1880, Southern Railway (of
Ireland). Closed to passengers 1963 and to freight 1967. Near the
Horse & Jockey Inn, Thurles, Co Tipperary. The station served
the pub and local traffic, including bringing supplies to the pub.
Although Thurles is the postal address, the Inn is actually located
about 5 miles south east of the town. A small community has sprung up
around the Inn, taking from it the English name of Horse &
Jockey (in Gaelic An Marcach, The Jockey). The original Inn
has been extended into a large hotel complex, the Horse &
- Houldsworth Arms
- Tram stop (SJ894933). Line from Stockport opened 1902, Stockport
Corporation Transport. Extended to Bull’s Head 1903. Closed 1946.
Near the Houldsworth Arms, 1 Houldsworth Square, Stockport SK5 7AF.
Back to Top
- Jolly Bacchus
- Steam Tramway Terminus (TF520819). Opened 1884 by the Alford
& Sutton Tramway, a 30 inch (762 mm) gauge line connecting
Sutton on Sea with the East Lincolnshire Railway at Alford. The
standard gauge Sutton & Willoughby Railway reached Sutton in
1886, and the tramway survived only a further few years, closing
completly in 1889. The Sutton terminus was next to the Jolly Bacchus
Inn, now the Bacchus Hotel, 17 High Street, Sutton on Sea,
Mablethorpe LN12 2EY.
- Jolly Sailor
- Station (TQ341684). Opened 1839, London & Croydon Railway.
Renamed Norwood, 1846. Closed 1859, when a new station (Norwood
Junction) was opened a little further south. Near the Jolly Sailor,
64 High Street, London SE25 6EB.
Back to Top
- King William
- Goods station (approx SD730146). Line from Bolton to Darwen
opened 1848, Bolton, Blackburn, Clitheroe & West Yorkshire
Railway. Station probably opened same date. Known active 1913.
Closed, unknown date. Line remains open. Near the King
William, 245 Chapeltown Road, Bromley Cross, Bolton BL7 9AN.
Back to Top
- Lamb, The
- Tram stop (approx O018193, Irish Grid). Opened 1888, Dublin
& Blessington Steam Tramway. Line and stop closed 1933.
Near The Lamb, an old coaching inn. The inn closed during the
life of the tramway; the date of closure is unclear, but it is
reported to have been demolished some time before 1920. An adjacent
minor Road is known as Lamb Hill. The location of the old tram stop on
the roue of Dublin Bus service 65 was officially The Lamb until the
early 21st century; it is now called Blessington Road Antique shop.
- Leatherne Bottel
- Bridge (SU602824). Line from Reading to Didcot opened 1840, Great
Western Railway. Broad gauge line, converted to dual gauge 1856 and
standard gauge 1892. Widened from 2 tracks to 4 tracks and bridge
extended 1893. Bridge reconstructed to allow clearance for overhead
electrification 2011. near the Leatherne Bottel, Bridle Way, Goring, Reading
Back to Top
- Malt Shovel
- Tram stop (SK341182). Opened 1906, Burton & Ashby Light Railway.
Closed 1927. Near the Malt Shovel, later the Annwell Inn, now the
House, Annwell Lane, Smisby, Ashby-de-la-Zouch LE65 2TA.
- Manor House
- Underground station (TQ321875). Opened 1932, London Electric
Railway. Now part of the Piccadilly Line. Next to the Manor House,
277 Seven Sisters Road, London N4 2DE. The pub was later a night club
and is now closed. The ground floor is occupied by retail premises,
the largest of which is Costcutter.
- Marine Hotel
- Tram stop (approx O260392, Irish grid). Opened 1901, Hill of
Howth Tramway, an Irish standard gauge electric tramway wholly
owned by the Great Northern Railway of Ireland. Line closed 1959.
Stop was next to the Strand Hotel, later renamed the Marine Hotel,
Sutton Cross, Dublin 13.
- Marquis (or Marquess) of Granby
- See Waterloo Arches
- Marquis of Wellington
- Viaduct (approx TQ337795). Another section of the long elevated
route opened in 1836 to carry the London & Greenwich Railway
over the streets of South East London (see Blue
Anchor). This section is named after the adjacent Marquis of
Wellington, 21 Druid Street, London SE1 2HH. The present building
appears to be early 20th century style and may be a replacement for
the original building §.
- Masons Arms
- Level Crossing (NZ228256). Line from Phoenix Pit, Low Etherley via
St Helen Auckland, Shildon and Darlington (North Road) to Stockton opened
1825, Stockton & Darlington Railway, with level crossing. Next to the
Masons Arms pub, later the New Masons, Byerley Road, Shildon DL4 1HH.
On 27th September, 1825, a train of good wagons travelled from Phoenix
Pit, horse drawn on the level sections and rope worked on each of four
inclines, to a point at or near the Masons Arms in Shildon, where they
joined a waiting passenger train hauled by the steam railway engine
Locomotion for the journey to Stockton. Although steam haulage had
been used previously on colliery railways, this was the first ever steam
train to carry fare paying passengers, thus starting a new era in
transport and ensuring the Stockton & Darlington a place in history.
The Masons Arms sold tickets for the railway, and continued to do so
until about 1833, when the first proper station in Shildon was opened
a short distance to the east, along what is now Station Road. In 1842,
the Shildon Tunnel Railway (joint Stockton & Darlington and Bishop
Auckland & Weardale) opened to the east of the town, and a new
station on the present site replaced the 1833 construction. The tunnel
was named Prince of Wales Tunnel in honour of the then Prince of Wales
(later King Edward VII). In 1856 the Stockton & Darlington opened a
new line from the north end of the tunnel to St Helen Auckland, thus
bypassing a section of the original line with the two Brusselton
inclines. The latter section closed a couple of years later, except
for a short length in Shildon giving access to the Stockton &
Darlington works on the west side of Byerley Road, beyond the level
crossing. Works and level crossing closed around 1984. Pub closed
- Tram terminus (SK348341). Opened 1923, Derby Corporation Tramways.
Closed 1932. Next to the Mitre Hotel, Osmaston Road, Derby DE24 8NG.
- Tunnel (SD793930) and viaduct (SD793922). Opened 1875, Midland
Railway. Remain open. The viaduct is more usually known as Dandry
Mire, or Garsdale, viaduct. A short distance from the Moorcock Inn,
Garsdale, Sedbergh LA10 5PU
- Mourne Hotel
- See Great Northern Hotel
Back to Top
- New Cross
- Two stations: TQ362770, station opened 1839, London & Croydon
Railway. East London Railway connection opened 1869, with its own
station named New Cross Gate. East London line station closed 1911,
services transferred to main line station. Main line station renamed
New Cross Gate, 1923. TQ367771, station opened 1850, South Eastern
Railway. East London Railway connection opened 1876. Both stations
remain open. Near the New Cross Inn, 323 New Cross Road, London SE14
- New Inn (Glyn Ceiriog)
- Station (SJ202377). Opened 1874, Glyn Valley Tramway, a 28¼
inch (718 mm) gauge line. Closed 1886 when the route of the line was
altered slightly in order to extend to Hendre Quarry. A new station
(Glynceiriog) opened nearby 1891, closed 1933. Entire line closed
1935. Near the New Inn, now the Glyn Valley
Hotel, Glyn Ceiriog, Llangollen LL20 7EU.
- New Inn (Rosebush)
- Halt (SN061299). Line from Rosebush to Letterston opened
1895, North Pembrokeshire & Fishguard Railway. New Inn Bridge
Halt opened 1929, closed 1937. Line closed 1949. Near the New Inn,
Rosebush, Clynderwen SA66 7RA. Pub closed, now a private house, Yr
Hen Dafarn Newydd (trans: The Old New Inn).
- New Inn (Wortley)
- Tram terminus (approx SE262331). Opened unknown date §,
Leeds City Tramways. Closed 1956. Near the New Inn, 336 Tong Road, Leeds
LS12 3TN. Pub closed circa 2012.
- Newlands Inn
- Station (SK422513). Opened circa 1991, Golden Valley Light
Railway, a 2 foot (610 mm) gauge tourist line. Remains open.
Near the Newlands Inn, Golden Valley, Riddings, Alfreton DE55 4ES.
The pub closed in 2007 and was badly damaged by fire in 2011.
- Normanton Hotel
- Tram stop (SK351347). Opened 1881, Derby Corporation Tramways,
as the terminus of a horse drawn tram route from the town centre.
Line converted to electric traction and extended to Cavendish 1904.
Line and stop closed 1934. The Normanton Hotel stood at the junction
of Pear Tree Road and Lower Dale Road. The original building is now
occupied by a row of shops, the largest of which is the Medina
- North Pole
- Junction (TQ229819) and train servicing depot. The junction
was created in 1863, when the Great Western Railway opened a chord
connecting its 1838 Main Line at Old Oak East Junction with the
1844 West London Railway at North Pole Juction. A third line,
from the London & North Western Railway at Mitre Bridge
Junction, reached North Pole in 1860. The original connection
from the Great Western Main Line at Ladbroke Grove Junction.
closed in 1869, and the connection to Old Oak East Junction in
1990. Junction reinstated 1994 providing connection to new servicing
depot for Eurostar trains, located alongside the former Great Western
Main Line. Depot closed 2007 with transfer of Eurostar fleet to
Stratford. Reopened 2014 as servicing depot for Hitachi Super Express
(class 800 and 801) trains. Near the North Pole, 13-15 North Pole
Road, London W10 6QH. The pub was rebuilt some time during the 19th
century, replacing an earlier pub on the same site; the new building
was sometimes referred to as the New North Pole. A local legend that
may or may not have a basis in fact tells the history of the name:
an inn named The Globe stood on the site from the 18th century, it
had for its sign a globe of the world. Over time, the globe was
weathered away until only the North Pole was left - and this became
the name by which the pub was known. Pub reopened after standing
empty for a number of years, but closed again 2013. Now a branch
of Tesco Express.
Back to Top
- Oak Tree
- Junction (NZ354137). The Stockton & Darlington Railway
opened in 1825. Oak Tree Junction created 1887 with the opening
of a more southerly route to the East Coast Main Line via Dinsdale.
Ceased to be a junction in 1964 with the closure of the northerly
route via Fighting Cocks. About ¾ mile from the Oak Tree
Inn, Yarm Road, Middleton Saint George, Darlington DL2 1HN.
- Old Colonial
- Tram stop (SJ322893). Opened circa 1995, Wirral Transport Museum.
Tram services are provided by the
Tramway Preservation Society. Tram stop is near the Taylor Street
Museum and the Old Colonial, 167 Bridge Street, Birkenhead CH41 1AY.
Pub closed by 2014, now in use as offices for a builders company.
- Old Roan
- Station (SJ370993). Line from Liverpool to Lostock Hall
opened 1849, East Lancashire Railway. Old Road station opened
1907, Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway, closed 1909.
Reopened 1935, London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Remains
open. Next to the Old Roan Inn, Copy Lane, Bootle L30 8RD.
- Old Swan
- Station (SJ404913) and tram stop (approx SJ394911). Old Swan
& Knotty Ash station opened 1879, Cheshire Lines Committee.
Renamed Knotty Ash & Stanley, 1888. Closed 1960. Line closed 1975.
Tram stop opened, dated uncertain §.
Closed circa 1955. Tram stop near The Old Swan, 1-5 Saint Oswalds Street,
Liverpool L13 5SA; station about ½ mile distant. The surrounding area has
taken its name from the pub.
Back to Top
- Station (TR090186). Opened 1928, Romney, Hythe &
Dymchurch Railway, a 15 inch (381 mm) gauge miniature line.
Station closed 1984. Line remains open. Next to the Pilot
Inn, Battery Road, Lydd on Sea, Romney Marsh TN29 9NJ.
- Portland Arms
- Tram stop (approx SK539609). Opened 1905, Mansfield & District
Light Railway Company. Closed 1932. Near the Portland Arms, 21 Albert
Street, Mansfield NG18 1EA. Pub closed circa 2013.
- Portsmouth Arms
- Station (SS631193). Opened 1854, North Devon Railway &
Dock Company, a broad gauge line. Converted to mixed gauge 1863,
standard gauge 1877. Remains open. Near the Portsmouth Arms Hotel,
Burrington, Umberleigh EX37 9ND.
- Punch Bowl
- Viaduct (SD646694). Opened 1850, North Western Railway.
Remains open. Near the Punch Bowl Hotel, Lower Bentham,
Lancaster LA2 7DD.
- Puss in Boots
- Station (SK320449). Proposed name changed to Hazelwood prior
to opening in 1867 by the Midland Railway. Station closed and
passenger services ceased on the line 1947. Freight traffic ceased
circa 1990. Line reopened as a tourist operation 2011, Ecclesbourne Valley
Railway, but station remains closed. Station about ¼ mile from the
Puss in Boots, Wirksworth Road, Duffield, Belper DE56 4AQ.
- Junction (SK952719). Line from Lincoln to Gainsborough opened 1849,
Great Northern Railway. Pyewipe Junction created with line to Boultham
Junction (for Lincoln avoiding line) 1882, Great Northern and Great
Eastern Joint Railway. Line from Pyewipe Junction to High Marnham opened
1896, Lancashire, Derbyshire & East Coast Railway, closed 1980. Other
lines remain open. Near the Pyewipe Inn, Saxilby Rd, Lincoln LN1 2BG.
Back to Top
- Queens Head (Dolywern)
- Station (SJ221372). Opened 1874, Glyn Valley Tramway, a
28¼ inch (718 mm) gauge line. Closed 1886. In 1888 when
the route of the line was diverted slightly towards the south.
Station on the new route (Dolywern) opened 1891, closed 1933.
Entire line closed 1935. The former Queens Head Inn is now the
Dyffryn Ceiriog Cheshire Home, Dolywern, Pontfadog, Llangollen
- Queens Head (Birmingham)
- Sidings and viaduct (SP038892). Line from Birmingham Snow Hill
to Handsworth opened 1854, Great Western Railway. Closed 1972.
Reopened 1994, British Rail. Sidings opened, unknown date, probably
circa 1994. Viaduct opened 1999, Midland Metro. About ½ mile
from the Queens Head, 379 Soho Road, Birmingham B21 9SF. Pub closed,
now Big John’s takeaway.
Back to Top
- Level crossing (SN688132) and junction (SN691132). Line from
Garnant to Gwaun-cae-Gurwen opened 1841, Llanelly Railway &
Dock Company, with Raven level crossing. Raven Junction created
1907 when the Great Western Railway opened a new line bypassing
part of the earlier (but not the level crossing). Part of original
line closed 1907, remaining section closed 1950. Newer line (and
level crossing) remain open for freight. Crossing and junction near the
Raven Inn, 82 Cwmamman Road, Garnant, Ammanford SA18 1ND.
- Red Cow
- (Gaelic: Na Bó Deirge) Tram station and depot
(O085310, Irish grid). Opened 2004, Luas. Near the 17th Century Red Cow
Inn, once a coaching inn and now part of a bar and hotel complex: The
Moran Hotel, Naas Road, Dublin 22.
- Red Lion (Garnant)
- Level crossing and halt (SN696124). Line from Raven Junction
to Gwaun-cae-Gurwen opened 1907, Great Western Railway, bypassing
an earlier line of the Llanelly Railway & Dock Company. Red
Lion Crossing was near the pub of that name. Red Lion Crossing Halt
opened 1908, closed 1926. Line ceased to carry traffic circa 1988,
resumed in 2009, although never officially closed. The pub, which stood
alongside what is now the A474 at the border of Garnant and
Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, was closed and demolished, possibly as long ago
as the first half of the 20th Century §.
- Red Lion (Mansfield)
- Tram stop (approx SK534610). Opened 1905, Mansfield & District
Light Railway Company. Closed 1932. Near the Red Lion, 2 Bancroft Lane,
Mansfield NG18 5LQ.
- Rising Sun
- Tram stop (SK294182). Opened 1906, Burton & Ashby Light
Railways. Closed 1927. Next to the Rising Sun, 77 Church Street,
Church Gresley, Swadlincote DE11 9NR.
- Station (SD513398). Opened 1840, Lancaster & Preston
Junction Railway. Closed 1849. Line remains open. Near the Roebuck, Garstang Road, Bilsborrow, Preston PR3 0RE.
- Royal George
- Tunnel (SD983036). Opened 1885, London & North Western
Railway with its line from Stalybridge to Diggle via the East bank
of the River Tame, built to relieve traffic on its earlier line on
the opposite site of the valley. Newer line (and Royal George
Tunnel) closed 1966, original line remains open. Tunnel ran
almost directly below The Royal George, Manchester Road, Greenfield,
Oldham OL3 7HX.
- Royal Hotel
- Tram stop (NZ396575). Opened 1879, Sunderland Tramways
Company, as the terminus of a horse tram route from Roker. Line
extended southwards later same year. Electrified 1900, Sunderland
Corporation Tramways. Closed 1954. Near the Royal Hotel, which stood
at the junction of Bridge Street and Sheepfolds Road. The site now forms
part of the forecourt of St Peter’s Metro station. The former line of
Sheepfolds Road can be followed as a foot and cycle path under the
- Royal Oak (Filey)
- Three junctions (TA106780, TA110780, TA109785). Line from Filey
to Bridlington opened 1847, York & North Midland Railway.
Junctions created 1947, London & North Eastern Railway, with
the opening of the branch to Filey Holiday Camp. Branch closed
and junctions out of use 1977. Main line remains open. The North
Junction was near the Royal Oak Hotel, Royal Oak, Filey YO14 9QE.
- Royal Oak (London)
- Station (TQ259816). Opened 1871, Great Western Railway, to
serve trains on the branch to Hammersmith which it owned jointly
with the Metropolitan Railway. There were no platforms on the main
line. The Hammersmith branch and the Royal Oak platforms are now
part of the Hammersmith & City line of the London Underground.
Near the Royal Oak pub. The pub was renamed in 2007 and is now The Porchester,
88 Bishops Bridge Road, London W2 5AA.
- Rufford Arms
- Tram stop (approx SK524624). Opened 1905, Mansfield & District
Light Railway Company. Closed 1932. Near the Rufford Arms, now the Rufford,
335 Chesterfield Road South, Mansfield NG19 7ES.
- Rutland Hotel
- Tram stop (approx SK464425). Opened 1903, Ilkeston Corporation
Tramways. Closed 1931. Near the Rutland Hotel on Lower Bath Street.
Hotel now demolished, Aldi supermarket is close to the original
- Rye House
- Station (TL385098). Opened 1843, Northern & Eastern Railway.
The line was originally constructed to a gauge of 5ft, but was converted
to standard gauge the following year. Remains open. On the opposite side
of the River Lea from the Rye House, Rye Road, Hoddesdon EN11 0EH. The pub
stands near the site of the 15th century Rye House, of which only the
Back to Top
- Junction (approx ST312873). Line opened 1852, Monmouthshire
Railway & Canal Company, from the company’s original terminus at
Courtybella, running via Cardiff Road and George Street to a new
terminus at Dock Street. Salutation Junction created 1855
(coincidentally just a few yards from where the author of these pages
was born), with freight only line to Llanarth Street Junction running
via Ebenezer Terrace. Passenger services ceased 1880 (diverted to
High Street station). Line to Llanarth Street Junction closed 1907,
Salutation Junction abolished. Remaining line via Cardiff Road and
George Street closed unknown date, probably 1950s. The Salutation
Inn (later the Salutation Hotel) stood at the junction of Cardiff Road
and Commercial Road (approx ST313875). It was demolished in 1963.
- Two separate goods stations:
The pub name derivation here is rather indirect: the goods stations
are named after the Saracen Foundry of Walter McFarlane &
Company, which they served. The Foundry was given its name because
the McFarlane’s original works had been in Saracen Head Road, off
Gallowgate. This road in turn took its name from the neighbouring
coaching inn, famous as the place where Dr Johnson, on his return
from his Highland tour, rejoiced to find himself sitting once more
in front of a coal fire. That building still stands, though no
longer a public house.
- First (approx NS586682). Opened 1895, Caledonian Railway,
with line from Possil Junction. Line and station closed 1963.
- Second (approx NS582685). Opened 1904, North British Railway,
with line from Ruchill. Line and station closed 1974.
- Sea Trout
- Halt (approx SX792638). Line opened 1872, Buckfastleigh, Totnes
& South Devon Railway, broad gauge. Converted to standard gauge
1892, Great Western Railway. Halt opened as Nappers Halt alight
for Sea Trout Inn unknown date, Great Western Railway. Halt closed
by 1958. Line closed 1962. Line and halt reopened 1969, Dart Valley
Railway (South Devon Railway from 1991). The halt remained open as a
request stop until 2005 or later, but is believed to be now out of use
for safety reasons. About 200m from the Sea Trout Inn,
Staverton, Totnes TQ9 6PA.
- Seven Stars
- Station (approx SJ224076). Opened 1903, Welshpool & Llanfair
Light Railway, a 30 inch (762 mm) gauge line. Closed 1931. Line
closed 1963. Much of the Welshpool & Llanfair route was
subsequently reopened as a tourist operation, but not the section
through Seven Stars station. The pub stood in Welshpool at the
junction of Seven Stars Road and Union Road. Ironically, it was
demolished in 1902 to make way for the railway.
- Six Bells (Abertillery)
- Halt (SO221031). Line from Aberbeeg to Nantyglo opened 1855,
Monmouthshire Railway & Canal Company. Halt opened 1937, closed
1962. Line closed 1984. Near the Six Bells Hotel, Victoria Road,
Six Bells, Abertillery NP13 2LX. A sizeable community has grown up
around the pub and takes its name from it.
- Six Bells (Garndiffaith)
- Halt (SO267045). Line from Blaenavon to Abersychan opened 1878,
London & North Western Railway. Halt opened 1912. Renamed Garndiffaith
1922. Closed 1941. Line closed 1980. Near the Six Bells pub, which
was located on the northwest side of Harper’s Road, next to the
railway bridge. Building still stands, now converted into flats.
- Spade Oak
- Level crossing (SU884874). Line from Marlow Road (now Bourne End)
to Great Marlow (now Marlow) opened 1873, Great Marlow Railway, with
level crossing. Remains open. Near The Spade Oak Hotel, Coldmoorholme Lane, Bourne End
- Spa Hotel
- Tram stop (approx O019353, Irish Grid). Opened 1890, Lucan, Leixlip
& Celbridge Steam Tramway, a 3ft (914mm) gauge line. Closed 1897.
Doddsborough Spa Hotel reopened 1910, as the terminus of a new 3ft 6in
(1067mm) gauge line, the Lucan & Leixlip Electric Railway. Closed
1928. Near the Spa Hotel, now the Lucan Spa Hotel, Lucan, Co Dublin.
- Spread Eagle (London)
- See Waterloo Arches
- Spread Eagle (Stafford)
- Station (SJ914105). Opened 1837, Grand Junction Railway. Renamed
Gailey, 1881. Closed 1951. Line remains open as part of the Birmingham
loop of the West Coast Main Line. Near the Spread
Eagle, Watling Street, Gailey, Stafford ST19 5PN.
- Stag & Castle Inn
- Station (SK458080). Opened 1832, Leicester & Swannington
Railway. Closed 1841. Line closed 1848, being replaced by a new
alignment opened by the Midland Railway immediately to the west,
avoiding the Bagworth incline on the original route. Station near the
Stag & Castle Inn. The building survives but has not been in
use as a pub for many years.
- Tram stop (SK284221). Opened 1906, Burton & Ashby Light
Railways. Closed 1927. Next to the Stanhope Arms, now part of the
Premier Inn Burton on Trent East, 82 Ashby Road East,
Bretby, Burton-on-Trent DE15 0PU.
- Strand Hotel
- See Marine Hotel
- Swan Hotel
- Tram stop (SK258232). Opened 1903, Burton Corporation Tramways.
Closed 1929. From 1906 to 1927, the stop was also served by cars
of the Burton & Ashby Light Railways. Next to the Swan Hotel,
Trent Bridge, Burton-on-Trent DE14 1SU. Pub closed circa 2008, now
offices and flats.
- Swiss Cottage
- Underground stations (TQ267843). Original station opened 1868,
Metropolitan Railway, with line from Baker Street. Line extended to
Willesden Green, 1879. Station closed 1940. Line remains open. Second
station opened 1939, London Passenger Transport Board, as part of the
Bakerloo line extension. Now part of the Jubilee Line. Near the
Swiss Tavern, now Ye Olde Swiss Cottage, 98 Finchley Road, London
NW3 5EL. The pub itself is said to take its name from a cottage
which formed part of a farmstead. The cottage, later a restaurant,
was demolished in the 1960s.
Back to Top
- Three Cocks
- Junction station (SO167372). Opened 1884 at the junction of the
Mid Wales and the Hereford, Hay & Brecon Railways. Station and
both lines closed 1962. About ½ mile from the Three Cocks
Hotel, Three Cocks, Brecon LD3 0SL. A small community has grown
up around the station and pub and takes its name from them.
- Three Horseshoes
- Junction (TL335969). Line from Peterborough to March opened
1846, Eastern Counties Railway. Junction created 1897, Great
Eastern Railway, with opening of freight only branch to Burnt
House, extended to Benwick the following year. Branch closed and
junction out of use 1964, but signal box retained as a block post.
Main line remains open. Near the Three Horseshoes, 344 March Road,
Turves, Whittlesey, Peterborough PE7 2DN.
- Three Tuns
- Steam Tramway Halt (TF469766). Opened 1884, Alford & Sutton
Tramway. Closed 1889. Next to the Three Tuns, Thurlby Road, Bilsby,
Alford LN13 9PU. See also Jolly Bacchus.
- Throstle Nest
- Junctions (East Junction SJ817965) and tunnel (from junctions
to SJ815959). Line from Manchester Central to Liverpool Brunswick
opened 1874, Cheshire Lines Committee. Tunnel opened and East
Junction created 1880, with opening of Midland Railway line to
Heaton Norris. West and South Junctions opened 1906, Cheshire Lines
Committee, forming third side of triangle. Connection from East
to South Junctions closed 1969. West Junction and remaining
section of former Midland Railway line closed 1988. Original
Manchester to Liverpool line remains open, now signalled from
Manchester Piccadilly power signal box. Tunnel near the Throstles
Nest, 122 Seymour Grove, Manchester M16 0FF. Pub closed 2013. Note
slightly different spelling of railway features and pub name.
- Tram Inn
- Station and signal box (SO464336). Opened 1853, Newport,
Abergavenny & Hereford Railway. Station closed 1958, signal
box retained as block post and to control level crossing. Next to
The Tram Inn, Tram Inn, Hereford HR2 9AN. The Tram Inn takes its
name from a horse drawn tramway that predated the railway. Thus
we have an example of a pub taking its name from a railway, which
then gave its name back to a railway feature.
- Travellers Rest (Abercynon)
- Station (approx ST084946). Line from Stormstown Junction to
Nelson opened 1841, Taff Vale Railway. Station opened 1901, closed
1932. Line closed 1938. Near the Travellers Rest pub, which stood at
the junction of what is now the A4054 with the B4275, opposite Cynon
Terrace. Pub demolished, unknown date §.
Nearby bus stops on the A4054 are still known as Travellers Rest.
- Travellers Rest (Parkend, near Lydney)
- Level Crossing (SO614082). Line from Lydney to Wimberry Colliery,
Forest of Dean, opened 1869, Severn & Wye Railway & Canal
Company as a broad gauge railway. Converted to standard gauge 1872.
Line closed in sections, that from Parkend to Coleford Branch Junction
including the level crossing closed in 1967. Near the Travellers Rest
pub, later The Railway Inn or The Bear, located on the west side of
Fancy Road immediately south of the crossing. Pub closed 1959, building
now a private house.
- Trouble House
- Station (ST914954). Line from Kemble to Tetbury opened 1889,
Great Western Railway. Station opened 1959, British Railways.
Line closed 1964. Opposite the Trouble House, Tetbury GL8 8SG.
Back to Top
- Union Flag
- Viaduct (TQ308790). Opened 1848, London & South Western Railway,
part of the Waterloo Arches. Remains open. Near the
Union Flag pub. Pub is now the Corner Cafe, 178 Lambeth Road, London
Back to Top
- Level crossing (ST182250). Line from Taunton to Beam Bridge
opened 1843, Bristol & Exeter Railway, with level crossing
(also known as Allerford Crossing), a broad gauge line. Converted
to mixed gauge 1878, standard gauge 1892. Remains open. Near
the Victory Inn, now the Allerford Inn, Norton Fitzwarren, Taunton
Back to Top
- Waggon & Horses
- Tram stop (SJ890958). Line from Manchester opened 1880, Manchester
Carriage & Tramways Company, as a horse tram route. Extended to
Denton 1883. Electrified 1902. Closed 1948. Near the Waggon & Horses,
736 Hyde Road, Manchester M18 7EF.
- Waterloo Arches
- Like the London & Greenwich Railway out of London Bridge
(see Blue Anchor), the London & South Western
Railway line opened out of Waterloo in 1848 was elevated above the
surrounded streets. Also like the London Bridge route, many of
the viaducts which formed this elevated section appear to have
been named after nearby pubs. None of the pubs in question still exist;
the following have been identified with reasonable certainty: Coronation, Union Flag, White Lion. I have not to date been able to locate pubs
named the Marquess of Granby or the Spread Eagle near to
the viaducts bearing those names, although pubs so named are recorded in
other parts of the Lambeth area §.
- Station, cutting and bank (approx J079212, Irish grid).
Wellington Inn station opened 1850 as a temporary terminus
of the Dublin & Belfast Junction railway, located near the
inn of that name for the convenience of passengers making an
ongoing connection by road coach. Station closed 1852 when
the line was extended (via Wellington Cutting) to Newry Armagh
Road. Line remains open. The inn no longer exists. Wellington
Bank is the name of the long gradient of the railway rising from
Dundalk and passing the site of the inn.
- Welsh Harp
- Viaduct (TQ226875) and station (approx TQ225876). Line from
London St Pancras to Bedford opened 1867, Midland Railway, with
viaduct. Station opened 1870, closed 1903. Line and viaduct
remain open. Near the Welsh Harp Inn, demolished in 1971 for
road widening, site now under West Hendon Broadway flyover.
The old coaching inn may have taken its name from the shape of
a nearby lake, later enlarged to become Brent Reservoir and also
called the Welsh Harp.
- Wheat Sheaf
- Tram stop and depot (NZ396579). Opened 1879, Sunderland Tramways
Company, as a horse tram route and depot. Electrified 1900,
Sunderland Corporation Tramways. Closed 1954. Near The Wheat Sheaf,
207 Roker Avenue, Sunderland SR6 0BN. The site of the former tram
depot now forms part of the Stagecoach bus depot.
- Whistle Inn
- Station (SO229101). Line from Brynmawr to Blaenavon opened
1869, London & North Western Railway. Garn yr Erw station
(SO228102) opened 1913, closed 1941. Line closed 1954. Partly
reopened circa 1983 as a tourist line, Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway, with
Whistle Inn station. Next to the Whistle Inn, Garn yr Erw,
Blaenavon, Pontypool NP4 9SJ.
- White Bear
- Station (SD600130). Opened 1869, Lancashire Union Railway.
Closed 1960. Line closed 1971. Near the White Bear,
5A Market Street, Adlington, Chorley PR7 4HE.
- White Hart
- Halt, with separate platforms on 2 lines (ST204891).
Line from Bassaleg to Caerphilly opened 1865, Brecon &
Merthyr Tydfil Junction, as a single line. Line doubled 1891,
with the down line taking a slightly different route between
Machen and Gwaunybara, the original line becoming the up line.
Station (both platforms) opened 1947, closed 1952. Up line
closed 1964, with the down line becoming single line. Line
closed completely 1967. Near the White Hart Inn, White Hart,
Machen, Caerphilly CF83 8QQ.
- White Lion (Ilkeston)
- Tram stop (approx SK466413). Opened 1903, Ilkeston Corporation
Tramways. Closed 1931. Near the White Lion. Pub now demolished,
site occupied by roundabout at the top of Chalons Way.
- White Lion (London)
- Viaduct (TQ304782). Opened 1848, London & South Western Railway,
part of the Waterloo Arches. Remains open. Near the
White Lion, 14 Vauxhall High Street. In 1884 the license was transferred
to 55 Albert Embankment following the construction of that thoroughfare,
but it is not clear whether this was a simple change of address for the
existing pub or a new building near to the previous site §.
No trace of the pub remains.
- White Swan
- Coal Depot (approx TG521085). Line from Yarmouth North
Quay Junction to Salisbury Road Junction opened 1882, Yarmouth
Union Railway. Coal depot opened, unknown date. Line from
Salisbury Road Junction closed 1959. Line from North Quay
Junction closed 1970, with last rail access to depot. Near
the White Swan, North Quay, Great Yarmouth NR30 1PU.
- Wilton Arms
- Tram stop (SJ902956). Line from Manchester opened 1883, Manchester
Carriage & Tramways Company, as a horse tram route. Electrified
1902. Closed 1948. Near the Wilton Arms, Manchester Road, Denton.
Pub demolished 1968 for road widening. Site now occupied by the
eastbound carriageway of the A57, near the junction with Wilton
- Tram stop (approx SE312337). Opened circa 1871, Leeds City
Tramways as the terminus of a horse tramway. Line extended and
electrified by 1901. Closed 1959. Near the Woodpecker Inn, which
stood at the junction of Burmantofts Street and York Road. Original
building demolished 1939 and new building with same name opened
on the opposite side of York Road. The later building was demolished
circa 1990 for road widening.
Back to Top
When the railways were built, pubs were often built near stations to
provide rest and refreshment for travellers, and facilities such as
hire of carriages and horses to carry them betwen the railway and their
final destination, which might be some distance away. Often these pubs
were given names connected with the railway. Thus, there are a great
many pubs and hotels in Great Britain and Ireland with names like
The Station or The Railway. Some are named after old
railway companies, such as The Midland or The Great Northern.
Others are named after famous trains, for instance The Mallard or
The Flying Scotsman.
- The Amalgamation, 2 Station Road, Strood, Rochester
- (ME2 4AX, TQ738692) is an interesting example as it is not obviously
a railway name. In fact, the name commemorates the amalagamation in 1899
of the South Eastern Railway and the London, Chatham & Dover Railway
under the umbrella of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Companies
Joint Management Committee. The nearby rail lines originally owned by both
railways remain open today, but the pub is closed. The building is now
occupied by a hair and beauty salon.
Many other pubs still stand next to the railway they were built
to serve, but in some instances the station itself has vanished. In
rural areas, traces of the line may remain to explain the pub name,
but there are some puzzles. Here are just a few:
- The Station Hotel, 106 Derby Road, Loughborough
- (LE11 5AG. SK530201) Loughborough has two stations, the station of
the national network, formerly known as Loughborough Midland, now
simply Loughborough; and Loughborough Central on the Great Central
Railway, once a main line railway in its own right but now operating as a
preserved railway for tourists and enthusiasts. The Station pub is
close to neither of these. The explanation? On an adjacent site, now
occupied by industrial units, once stood the Loughborough Derby Road
station of the Charnwood Forest Railway, closed to passengers as long
ago as 1931 and closed completely in 1955. Although a few of the
original buildings remain, they are not readily visible from the main
roads and many people are unaware of the line’s existence.
- The Railway Inn, Wilne Road, Sawley, Long Eaton
- (NG10 3AP. SK472317) is a puzzle because is has never been
close to a railway. The nearest line, the Nottingham to Derby line of
the Midland Railway, is over ½ mile away - although there was
a station called Sawley (near the level crossing on Sawley Road,
SK463328) and the present Long Eaton station (SK481322) was originally
known as Sawley Junction.
- The Terminus, 601 Chatsworth Road, Chesterfield
- (S40 3JY. SK356706) again, never near any railway line, but in
this instance next to a former terminus (and turn round point) of
the Chesterfield Corporation tram system. Unfortunately, this pub
at the corner of Chatsworth Road and Storrs Road, once popular with
Real Ale enthusiasts, was closed and demolished (circa 2004) to make
way for housing.
Back to Top
Some pubs may have no obvious railway connection, yet have
nevertheless played an important part in railway history. For example:
- The Sun Inn, 6 Derby Road, Eastwood, Nottingham
- (NG16 3NT. SK464470) known as the birthplace of the Midland Railway,
because on 4th October, 1832 a group of interested parties including
local mine owners met there, and their deliberations led to the
formation of the Midland Counties Railway. A plaque commemorates the
event. This railway became one of the first components of the railway
company that would eventually link the East and North Midlands with
London, Bristol and even Scotland.
And here is a pub with a railway connection that is far from obvious:
- The Albion, 86 Armley Road, Leeds
- (LS12 2EJ. SE283335) became famous among the railway modelling
fraternity in the 1980s with the publication of a building kit which
immortalized it in card. The pub was an ideal subject for this
treatment, being relatively small, of an age suitable for almost any
townscape from the mid-19th century to the present day, and clearly
visible from the railway. The kit itself was of excellent quality and
unusual in representing an actual, rather than a simplified or
idealized, building. It has appeared on many model railway layouts.