Railway Stations in
Historical Place Names
- Cobh / An Cobh: from 1849 until 1922 was known as
Queenstown in honour of Queen Victoria.
- Dún Laoghaire: the anglicized spelling Dunleary was
used prior to 1821, when the name of the harbour and its surrounding
settlement was changed to Kingstown in honour of King George IV.
The former name persisted for a time as the name of the neighbouring
village, and is recorded as being the name of a station on the Dublin
and Kingstown Railway in 1834. Later, the two communities merged under
the name of Kingstown. In 1921, the original name was restored, but with
the Gaelic spelling which is now used exclusively.
- Londonderry / Doire: the town of Derry had the prefix
“London-” added in the early 17th century to mark its close commercial
connections with the capital of England. This remains the name that is
used today for the majority of official purposes, but the variant
Derry is frequently encountered. The “London-” prefix is never
used with the Gaelic spelling. The branding Derry~Londonderry
was used in publicity for the 2013 UK City of Culture and is occasionally
found in other contexts.
- Portlaoise: a fort was established in the late 1540s in
an area of Leix (Laois) recorded from the previous century as Port
Laoighisi. The fort was named Fort Protector, although usually known as
Fort of Leix, or Fort Leix. A small town grew up around the fort;
the town was granted a charter in 1567 and given the name
Maryborough in honour of Queen Mary I. Maryborough railway
station opened in 1847. In about 1929, the town changed its name to
Portlaoghaise (erroneously Portlaoighise in some sources, perhaps by
confusion with the 15th century recorded spelling). The station
retained the name of Maryborough until the 1940s, when it was renamed
Portlaoise using the simplified spelling that had been adopted by the
town in the meantime. However, the name of Maryborough continued to
be used in railway working timetables until at least the early 1950s,
and the Church of Ireland parish covering the town remains known by
that name to the present day. The longer Irish language spelling of
Portlaoghaise was retained until 2014 as the name of the Local
Electoral Area that included the town of Portlaoise.