The first railway in Algeria was a standard (1435mm) gauge line, opened in 1862 between Algiers and Blida, about 28km. Under French colonial government, an extensive network of standard and narrow (1055mm) gauge lines was developed. By the outbreak of World War II, this totalled over 5000km, complemented by extensive dedicated mining railways. After the War, much of the network fell into a state of neglect and decline. Since the 1980s, reconstruction and new development has led to a revived network of around 4000km of standard and narrow gauge line by 2011. A further 2000km is projected, and there are long term aspirations for a network of up to 12000km. There are international connections (currently used by freight services only) with Morocco and Tunisia.
Flag image from CIA World Factbook