The first railway in Cuba, and one of the first railways outside of Europe and the USA, opened in 1837 between Habana and Bejucal, a distance of 27km. It was built by British engineers, and consequently used the standard gauge of 1435mm, which was adopted for futher expansion.
The lines eventually reached most parts of the island. Most lines remain in use today, and many routes retain a passenger service. Extensive rehabilitation of lines and equipment is in progress.
In addition to the main lines, there were a large number of narrow gauge lines, maainly associated with the sugar cane industry. Remnants of many of these survive, although no longer required for their original purpose. At least some of these are known operate steam hauled tourist services, either by special arrangement or on a regular basis. However, on line information concerning these operations is sparse and inconsistent.
Flag image from CIA World Factbook