The short railway of the Vatican City, connecting with the Italian railways network, was mandated by the Lateran Treaty of 1929 and opened in 1934. For many years it provided a regular freight service of supplies for the City, although this has declined over the years in favour of road transport. A passenger station was provided though in fact this saw very little use.
In 2015, the first regular passenger service from the station was inaugurated, running each Saturday from the Vatican to Albano Laziale for the Villa Barberini in Castel Gandolfo, conveying pre-booked tourist visitors between the two sites. The service is operated on behalf of the Vatican by Trenitalia.
Flag image from Wikipedia