Alberta Prairie steam train at Big Valley
A branch of the CN runs from Edmonton, Alberta to Hay River,
on the shores of the Great Slave Lake in Northwest Territories.
About 80 miles (130km) of this line lie within Northwest Territories.
Hay River is the most northerly point connected by rail to the main
North American rail network.
- VIA Rail
Canada passenger services:
- The Canadian Toronto to Vancouver via Edmonton and Jasper
- The Skeena Jasper to Prince Rupert
- CN freight
- CPKC from Lethbridge meets BNSF from
Shelby, Montana at the US border between Coutts and Sweetgrass.
Proposed Passenger Railway
- Proposed passenger railway linking Banff, Calgary and
Calgary Airport. The 150km dedicated passenger line will parallel
the route of the existing CPKC freight line
(No website located at present)
Local and Regional Freight Operators
- Alberta Prairie Railway switching services in Stettler
interchanging with CPKC (No website located at
present for freight operation, but see below for tourist passenger
River Railway Kiron (interchange with CN) to Alliance, about
52 miles (83 km)
- Cando Ltd
- switching services at the Gibsons Energy and Imperial Oil sites
in East Edmonton, interchanging with CN and CPKC
- switching services at the Cando Sturgeon Terminal, north of
Edmonton, interchanging with CN
- Cargill provides switching services at its own
grain elevator in Viking, interchanging with CN
- Forty Mile Rail Judson Flats, near Stirling
(interchange with CPKC) to Foremost, about 47 miles
- Great Sandhills Railway located mainly in
Saskatchewan, enters Alberta for a short distance to reach McNeill.
No direct connection with any other railway in Alberta
- Watco Rail Services switching services
at two sites of Dow Canada:
- in Fort Saskatchewan, interchanging with CN and CPKC
- in Prentiss, interchanging with CN and CPKC
Canadian Pacific luxury cruise train
Mountaineer luxury cruise train
- Alberta Central Railway Museum in Wetaskiwin.
Offers rides in a diesel hauled train on a 1 mile (1.6km) loop of
- Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions steam and diesel
hauled trains from Stettler to Big Valley, about 20 miles (32km).
Dining services and other specials operate on various days
Crossing Railway Aspen Crossing, near Mossleigh, to Blackie, about
14 miles (32km). Diesel hauled. Operates most weekends and some other
days May to October. Dining services and other specials operate on
- Edmonton Radial Railway Society operates historic
trams (streetcars) in Edmonton Park and in southern Edmonton
Edmonton Park includes an operating steam railway and historic
- Galt Historic
Railway Park on certain days offers rides on a short narrow gauge
track using a converted motorised works trolley
- Heritage Park Historical Village in Calgary
includes a steam hauled standard gauge railway circling the park,
and a historic electric tram (streetcar) connecting the parking
areas with the main gate. Open daily late May to August and weekends
Horse Park Airdrie. 1.6km, 7½ in (190mm) gauge, steam or diesel
hauled. Open to the public Sundays from late May to early October
and for special events.
© 2006-2023 Glyn Williams
Photo image © Richard Peat